Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit


My niece Kenzie was having a rough time understanding when her mom would be coming back to get her. She told Kelsey that she was now a Crandell and that Uncle Ray and Aunt Missie were her parents and that my children were her brothers and sisters. I sat her on my lap and explained that her mom was in rehab (kind of like a hospital), that she was still her mom, and that she would be coming back to be with Kenzie. Little Kenzie is 4 years old and was having a hard time not crying. I asked everyone to fold their arms and close their eyes. I offered a prayer asking Heavenly Father to comfort Kenzie. When I was done praying, I asked if she would like me to read to her. She was excited with that idea. As she went looking for a book I let Ray know that he was in the guest room that night. I needed to mend a wounded heart. Kenzie and I selected some books and went into my room to read. We looked at all the pop-up books and then settled in to read the book she picked. Of all the hundreds of childrens books I have, she picked, "The Berenstains Bears and the Bad Habit". It completely explained what a bad habit is. We talked about good habits. She let me know that she looks both ways before crossing the street. We talked about her mom's bad habit and how it is OK to get help for it. I put her to sleep and layed my head down and marveled over the Father of the universe helping little Kenzie's hand find the one book that would help her understand.

5 comments:

Sharlesa said...

Here's to the best Aunt in the universe!

Jessica said...

I agree. You are the best aunt. This is such a sweet story. I love your family picture - such a beautiful family!

Amber Webb said...

That is so sweet of you, what a great aunt you are.

I am glad you found me I will invite you to my blog that I SO bdaly need to upate!

Amber Webb said...

okay I thought I had your email address but I cant find it. Can you email me yours so I can add you to my blog.

Unknown said...

Hi Miss,
Thanks for inviting me to your blog. I miss you all. Please add more things so that I can read about all the other amazing crandellis. Everything with me is fine.
Lia